Later this month, Nature Canada will make our final arguments to the Panel examining the Northern Gateway Pipeline hearing in British Columbia. This will be our last chance — and yours — to convince the Panel that the Northern Gateway Pipeline should not go ahead because the risks to nature are just too high.
As you may remember, the Northern Gateway Pipeline would carry tar sands oil from Alberta to the BC coast. Straight through the Great Bear Rainforest, home to the endangered spirit bear. Endangered whales will share the waters with giant oil tankers. And the threat of oil spills looms over 29 Important Bird Areas (IBAs).
With the support of our members, Nature Canada has raised our voice for nature at these hearings. Here are just a few of the highlights our experts have shared:
- Our iconic and endangered woodland caribou and many other mammals and other beloved species would have their habitat fragmented and destroyed.
- Increased shipping traffic a tanker larger than the Empire State Building will ram through these waters every other day means increased risk of a devastating oil spill.
- Millions of feeding marine birds depend on these rich marine areas, and if a spill occurred it would be catastrophic for a number of species, including the endangered Marbled Murrelet.
- Enbridge used ‘weak science’, presenting scientific literature that is limited and biased. Even their lawyer was forced to concede this point.
- Enbridge’s arguments about how oil spills “could create economic spin offs” stunned our experts, the courtroom and our country.
There are only a few days left in these hearings about the Northern Gateway Pipeline. This is an immediate threat.
Your gift today helps raise our voice for nature today. And, your gift also means you’re standing with us to insist on action to strengthen our environmental laws, not continue to weaken them for the benefit of industry.
Will you please make your special gift to Nature Canada today?
Yours for nature,